Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Quaker Soft Baked Bars Banana Nut Bread: Um, If You Say So

Pinky McLadybits





Full disclosure: I was selected by Influenster to receive a Summer Voxbox filled with products to review. I will be reviewing them whether I find them awesome or terrible.

"I'm hungry," says me, all of the time. I just ate a ridiculously huge salad filled with spinach and lettuce, peppers, olives, beans, bacon, ham, cheese, and cucumbers. Seriously, it was bigger than my head. And I am still starving. I thought that this would be as good a time as any to give my Quaker Soft Baked Bars Banana Nut Bread a try.

It looks really pretty in that promotional photo up there, doesn't it? My bar has just as many almonds topping the bar but the color is a bit darker. The texture isn't so much soft as chewy, which is really a small difference. I tore off my first bite and was surprised at how dense the bar seemed. I was also surprised by the crunch hidden in the chewy. 

It doesn't really smell like banana nut bread. It smells like...actually, I can't pinpoint a smell except for sweetened. It doesn't smell like the nuts, not really. It doesn't smell like a banana, that is for sure. No cinnamon. Nothing. It isn't wholly unpleasant, but it tastes like I imagine astronaut food might taste. Sure, it has 5g Fiber, 20% daily value of 5 B Vitamins, 6g of Protein, and contains 3.5g of total fat per serving, but it isn't something you'll crave.

I am not in love with these bars. The texture is nice and the fiber, vitamins, and protein packed into the bar are better than other bars. They just don't taste like anything. When bananas are eleventh on your list of ingredients for a Banana Nut Bread Bar, we've got some troubles. Let me leave you with this: 

I asked my husband to taste it and asked, "What does it taste like?" His reply: "Ground up walnut shells mixed with olive oil." This from a man that thinks Doritos, macaroni and cheese, and taco meat are a tasty dinner option. They get a boost from their dietary pluses only. 

Rating: 3/8 tentacles





No comments:

Post a Comment