Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Arctic Zero Coffee Frozen Dessert: Better Than Hamdingers

Pinky McLadybits






Every time I go to the grocery, I eyeball the hell out of the ice cream section. I check out the sleek lines of the ice cream bars. I lick my lips while reading the various flavor combinations on Ben & Jerry's pints. I wonder if the fancy gelato is worth the seven dollar price tag.

And then I usually walk away with nothing. Sure, sometimes Aunt Flo coerces me into buying just one pint of Cheesecake Brownie or maybe just one box of ice cream sandwiches, but these things are not conducive to my current eating program, kids.

Arctic Zero caught my eye the last time I browsed the real ice creams. This frozen dessert can't be called ice cream because it isn't ice cream. Arctic Zero Coffee boasts 150 calories in the entire pint, no gluten, safe for those with lactose intolerance, fat free, natural, organic, low glycemic, no sugar alcohols, and it is kosher. It also has 14 grams of whey protein, 8 grams of fiber per pint, and it isn't genetically modified. It is also only 1 Weight Watcher point per serving, so you can eat the whole thing for 4 points. Compare that to 28 points for a whole Ben & Jerry's pint and you'll understand why I was excited to find Arctic Zero

Clearly this frozen dessert has a lot going for it in the nutritional department. But how does it taste? Sort of like weak coffee that has been frozen without any thickening agent. It is definitely a different texture than I am used to in my pints of frozen confection. It isn't quite shaved ice gritty texture, but it is definitely not smooth and creamy ice cream texture. Another big plus is that there is no strange aftertaste. So often when I try lower calorie or different versions of beloved but fatty foods, the taste starts out great only to punch me in the tastebuds with some strangely nauseating surprise at the end. Arctic Zero doesn't do this.

However, for a product that boasts so much nutrition that isn't usually found in frozen desserts, it is not cheap. It was more than $5 for the pint. If the taste was stronger and the pint I purchased wasn't still sitting in the freezer, with only one serving missing, I would consider this a small price to pay. Sadly, that isn't the case. I'd love to tell you that you will crave this and that you will be glad to give up your regular guilty ice cream pleasure, but that isn't the truth. I am contemplating creating a frozen drink of some kind with my Arctic Zero leftovers. Perhaps the remaining pint, a bit of almond milk, and some flavored coffee granules will perk it up.

Rating: 3/8 tentacles





No comments:

Post a Comment