Thursday, August 16, 2012

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner: Save The Drama For Your Mama!

Vee





Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner has gotten some good buzz around the beauty blogosphere for being similar to Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners but without the expensive price tag.  I'm always up for a drugstore dupe so I picked up a pot in Espresso a few days ago and gave it a whirl. 

I should have remembered that I hate whirling, twirling or spinning in general. 



This is what I want out of a gel eyeliner:
  • Vivid  color payoff
  • Doesn't dry out quickly
  • Comes with a good brush
  • Applies easily
  • Long lasting
  • Doesn't smudge
  • Doesn't cost too much
The Eye Studio performed well in most of those categories. The color was pretty opaque, and comes in a small pot so the gel doesn't dry out before you can use it all. The brush has a small head so you can be pretty precise in your application and the bristles were smooth and stiff. The formula was nice and creamy so it went on smoothly. At $10 or less, it's pretty affordable. So I loved it, right?

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Espresso
Nope.  The formula was really smudgy and wore off on me pretty quickly.  I use gel eyeliners primarily to tightline, or line my lower waterline.  Within a few hours the liner had worn away and migrated underneath my eye.  The Lasting Drama gel eyeliner claims to be smudgeproof, waterproof and lasts 24 hours.  Not so much there, Maybelline. 

Pictured from right to left: liner tested for smudginess immediately, at 2 minutes, and at 5 minutes

When I went to wash off the eyeliner from my arm about 30 minutes after I took that picture, THEN the liner decide to be indelible.  I had to scrub my arm with the dish brush and dish soap to get it off.  So if you're willing/able to give your eyeliner time to really set, maybe this will work for you.

3/8 tentacles for a great brush but the formula needs improving.

Rating: 3/8 tentacles




You might also like: Eyeko London Skinny Liquid Eyeliner, Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadow, Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil Eyeliner, and Lise Watier Feline Eyeliner HD.

2 comments:

  1. I think, in all fairness, this is mainly meant as an upper eyelid product (for cat eyes, etc). I used this stuff everyday and have never had a problem with smudging etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that anonymous, but it smuged on my upper eye as well. The pictures on my arm show that even on dry, non-oily skin it takes a while to set. There are other gel liners that set much more quickly and are less likely to smudge during or immediately after application. Glad it works for you though!

    ReplyDelete