Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Revlon PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener: Where Did You Get Those Eyes?

Tamatha




I may not be the best person to review an eye primer, since until about a year ago, I didn't even know this stuff existed, but I'm going to do it anyway.  I swear, back in the 80s, which was the last time I was in the know about make-up, eye primer was not a thing.

Recently, however, some of my lady friends on the Facebook (and here) have been talking about eye primers, and I thought I should check it out.  Considering the infrequency with which I wear make-up, I wasn't about to invest in a pricier eye primer (for ex., Urban Decay or Too Faced).  Luckily for me, when I dashed to CVS on New Year's Eve, fingers crossed that my old standby, Revlon, would have one, they did!  Enter Revlon's PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener.


Here is what I think the PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener does well.  As an eye brightener, this stuff is fabulous!  I apply the primer to my upper and lower lids and under my eyes, pat it with a fingertip to blend, and voila! my eyes look amazing.  I've literally decided on at least one occasion to skip the shadow altogether because my eyes look so good with just the primer and mascara.  It really does make them look brighter.

The PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener evens out the skin tone around my eyes and provides a nice blank slate as a starting point for eyeshadow.  It even does a valiant job on my ridiculously dark under-eye circles--it doesn't make them disappear (I'm willing to bet that only a professional make-up artist would have those kinds of skills), but it does lighten them considerably.

I'm pretty sure this Eye Primer + Brightener only comes in one shade, so I'm not sure how well it would work on someone who is not Tamatha-colored.  But for folks with my skin tone, it's awesome.

Now, as for the primer part, if you are looking for a product that is going to make your eyeshadow stay forever and ever, this is not the product for you.  And as I read the description for the product on Revlon's website, they really do describe this primer more as something you would use to have a good blank canvas for applying your make-up, than as a product to make your eyeshadow stick to your lids. My experience was that when I used the primer with some older shadows, they did what they always do, migrate.  But when I used it with my new e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow, that stuff did not budge.

So, if you want something to brighten your eyes and/or give you a nice, even starting point for your eyeshadow, Revlon's PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener is for you.  If, however, you are looking for something to keep your eyeshadow from disappearing on you, you may want to look elsewhere.

I'm giving Revlon's PhotoReady Eye Primer + Brightener 7 out of 8 tentacles.  It loses one tentacle because I was really hoping it would keep my eye shadow in place, at the same time, it's a fabulous eye brightener and I now consider it a mainstay of my make-up collection.

Oh, and speaking of the 80s, here's the video for the song I referenced in the title of this post:


Rating: 7/8 tentacles




You might want to check out: Urban Decay Tinted Eyeshadow Primer,Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and e.l.f. Essentials Eyelid Primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment