Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pinky Tries It: Color-Block Nails

Pinky McLadybits





I mentioned the trend of color-block nails in Hot Links the other day. My current manicure was chipping off quite a bit and it was time for something new. I decided to give this color-black a try.

You will need different polish colors. Make sure that they are not just glitter polish, as I learned the hard way. They must be opaque. At least, I think they look better that way.

You will also need scotch tape, scissors, quick-dry drops or top coat, and time. You will need to prep your nails with a base coat and allow it to dry thoroughly. Then you are ready to start.


I started with Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Hardener for my base. Then I chose Wet N Wild Wild Shine in French White Creme as the base.You will need the base to be the lightest color because it isn't going to cover the darker colors like they can cover it. Did that make sense? It kind of did in my head. So, I applied two coats of the French White Creme with one coat of Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat between each of them.

After that polish was nice and dry, I pulled a piece of tape from the roll and began to stick and remove it from my hand to get rid of some of the stickiness. I have found in the past, and the directions told me this as well, that if you don't do this to the tape, it will stick to your polish and pull it off. Once I was happy with the tape's barely stickiness, I cut it into five little triangles for my nails. I gently placed the tape across my nails in a different direction on each nail. I was going for more of a random blocking than the photo above.

I then applied my next color to the exposed nail. I chose Wet N Wild Wild Shine in Caribbean Frost. I only used one good coat of this and then peeled the tape from my nails before it could be dried into place. Then I applied a coat of the Revlon. For the third color, I followed the same instructions with the tape and their placement. Unfortunately, I thought it would be cool to try my Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in Fractured Foil as the third color. I thought it would cover portions of the French White and the Caribbean Frost while also allowing pieces of it to show through the cracks. Apparently, this bottle of Crackle is old, so I just ended up with silver glitter that didn't hide the other colors. It was a bummer. But I applied it and then finished with my Revlon to dry it all. I had this:


As you can see, it would have been much better with a darker third color. Also, the French Creme sucks and doesn't coat well or ever really dry. It is an asshole. I fully plan to try this again with darker colors. I'm thinking a base of Concrete Evidence by ULTA, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Posh Plum, and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Gunmetal. Those should all cover each other!

Overall, it is a really cute new trend that just takes some time and patience to master. The key is your quick dry product and getting the tape the right mix of sticky enough to stay and ineffective enough to peel off easily and without ripping the polish with it. I recommend giving it a try! If you do, share the photos with us on our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment