Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Splotchy Face Begone: The Body Shop Tea Tree Products

Author: Figgy


Besides looking for new jeans, there is no shopping experience more painful for me than looking for a new moisturizer. I have the most finicky skin, oily at times and dry at others, sensitive as anything, prone to blemishes and just about everything bad that can happen to your face. It's a pain. I've tried so many moisturizers that have only sorta worked, and when my current one ran out I was in dire need of trying something new.

So, based on reviews at Sephora and the great things I'd heard about the magical properties of Tea Tree Oil, I decided to try The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion. And because their online store was having a lovely buy-2-get-1 free dealio (and free shipping that day), I decided to spring for the Skin Clearing Facial Wash and the Cleansing Wipes from their Tea Tree line of products. Maybe these would finally work.


I'm happy to report that the Skin Clearing Lotion is pretty amazing. I was wary of paying almost $10 for a small amount of product (1.69 ounces), but I'm happy to report that a small amount of lotion will work to cover your face and neck. It goes on smooth and light and it feels incredibly refreshing to put on first thing in the morning. The one thing I would warn you about is the smell--it's a very strong, woodsy smell that I found very pleasant but others might find a little strange. Fortunately though, (and unlike a lot of other moisturizers I've tried) the smell dissipates quite quickly and it shouldn't bother you for too long. Best of all, the lotion actually works! After only a week my skin is noticeably less splotchy and more fresh-looking. I love putting it on in the morning-- it has a really nice fresh feeling to it that I just love. It also controls the oilyness of my skin and keeps it from going wild with shine.

The Skin Clearing Facial Wash is a bit of a disapointment . There is a good amount of product for the money (it was $11 for 8.4 ounces), which seemed good at first but became a little frustrating when I realized that you need more than a few pumps to wash your entire face. It doesn't give much of a lather and unfortunately the smell is a little less pleasant than the lotion. And I'm sad to say it didn't seem to work too well--my skin didn't feel very clean and I had to do a second wash with another product. I think it'll be alright to use when I need a quick wash after a light day, but it won't hold up for I need something stronger.

The Cleansing Wipes are very nice and wonderfully refreshing after a long, hot day out. They removed most of the oil and the makeup as well, but I still felt like I needed more of a wash. They'll be good when I'm in a hurry--say when I get off a long shift at work and don't feel like making the effort of washing my face at night. Oh, you know you do it, too. To be completely fair, the wipes were the 'free' product in the promotion, and I'm not entirely sure that I'd purchase them again for $12 when I could just as easily use a cheaper facial wash.

All in all I was happy with my purchase, if only because I got to try some new products and I've decided not to return any of them. I also love that The Body Shop uses natural, Fair Trade ingredients in their products, which makes me feel good about all this stuff I'm trying on my face.

I'll give the Skin Clearing Lotion 8/8 tentacles and will definitely be buying it again, and will probably spring for a larger size.

Rating: 8/8 tentacles




The Skin Clearing Facial Wash gets 4/8 tentacles. It wasn't terrible but it's not something I'll buy again. I'll use it for those lazy days when my skin doesn't need much work.

Rating: 4/8 tentacles




The Cleansing Wipes get 6/8 tentacles. They smell and feel wonderful on my skin, but the cost might be too much for me to buy them on their own.

Rating: 6/8 tentacles

No comments:

Post a Comment