Monday, June 11, 2012

Beautiful, But Definitely Not Easy or Breezy: Covergirl Lash Blast 24 Hour Mascara

Dixie 







I've been conflicted about the Covergirl Lash Blast 24 Hour Mascara since I bought it a couple months ago. At first, I liked it. Then, I hated it. Then, I was ambivalent about it. But, I finally decided that I like it. The rollercoaster of emotions that this mascara has put me through should be an indicator, you're going to love it or hate it. And it's not for the inexperienced mascara user.

Upon looking at the package, you will find that there is no real hint about how this mascara is going to look on your lashes - it is listed as neither volumizing nor lengthening. It is merely billed as a "24 Hour" wear, with no indication whether it is a dye or a waterproof formula. But I figured I was going to review it anyway, so it wouldn't be a total loss even if I hated it.

Applying it for the first time is a little strange, not like any mascara I've used before. The first thing I noticed is that it feels a bit greasy on the lashes. After thinking about that for a second, I decided I liked it. Better than feeling dry, yes? With the first few uses, the mascara goes on pretty smoothly, no clumps or stuck-together lashes. However, after a couple weeks use the formula becomes more clumpy and difficult to apply smoothly. Here is the thing, though: this shit does not budge off your eyes. I mean, at all. It is a true waterproof formula, though, in my experience, not as drying as other waterproof mascaras. I've worn it swimming, to Bikram yoga, and on the most humid days this year and it has stayed put throughout. Downside: it's nigh impossible to remove, even with eye makeup remover designed for waterproof makeup. Time and a couple of face washings will remove it, so if you're the type of person who doesn't mind a bit of mascara on their lashes while they sleep at night, then it's no big deal. However, if you require clean lashes at night, this might pose a problem. Like I said, you will love or hate this mascara. There is no middle ground.

After a bit of time and experience with the mascara, it does get easier to apply, if you are so inclined to stick with it. First of all, if you think you are going to remove the clumps on the wand by scraping it against the side, then you are WRONG. Your best bet is to either wipe the clumps off with a tissue or turn the wand to a non-clumpy side. Next, apply it very gently. Too much pressure and your lashes will clump together for the never-popular tarantula eyes look. Lastly, apply your second coat when the first coat is mostly dry. Applying it to wet lashes will result in no further mascara sticking to your lashes and applying it to dry lashes will result in tarantula-eyes. So, wait a several seconds then re-apply. Your reward for patience with this mascara is a set of awesome-looking lashes. Seriously. Your lashes will be black black black, voluminous, and they will stay that way all day. Pretty sweet.

Everyone will probably think I'm crazy for this rating after all the qualifying factors regarding application and formula, but I'm going to give the Covergirl Lash Blast 24 Hour Mascara a 7/8 tentacles. The price is decent at between $6 and $8 at Drugstore.com, Target, Wal-mart, Amazon, and local drugstores. I dock only one tentacle for the difficulty of application because I think the results are worth your patience.

Rating: 7/8 tentacles





No comments:

Post a Comment