Friday, May 18, 2012

Shea Moisture Shave Coconut & Hibiscus Shave Butter Creme

Dixie






It's no secret that I have much love for the Shea Moisture line. Everything I've used has been high-quality, effective, and most importantly, agreeable with my skin and hair. So when my local Target expanded their stock of Shea Moisture products to include the Shave line, I hurried on down and snatched up a tub of the Shea Moisture Shave Coconut & Hibiscus Shave Butter Creme. The next day during my shower I eagerly slathered my legs with the sweet-smelling butter, eager to see and feel the results of my shave.
Maybe my expectations were too high.

My first shave with the Shave Butter Creme was not satisfactory. There is a learning curve with this stuff. And I, apparently, learned the hard way that you have to apply a pretty thick coat in order to avoid razor burn. A couple of shaves later I got the hang of it. I applied a nice thick coat each subsequent time and made sure to rinse my razor after every couple of passes over my skin. After I was done, I had soft, smooth legs that were fragranced with a pleasantly light flowery scent. So, good results. Just like I've come to expect from Shea Moisture.

So, I have to use a lot of the creme each time I shave. Okay, that's fine. Whatever. I'm okay with slathering a ton of this creme on. It smells good and it feels nice and rich...but it's nearly $7 for a 6 ounce tub. That's not so fine with me. Normally, I shave with a thick lather of shaving soap and get great results. Sure, the results aren't as spectacular as with the Coconut & Hibiscus Shave Butter Creme, but, let's face it, I'm usually just shaving my legs so that I don't look like Sasquatch in a dress when I head out to work. I only need a super-duper really close shave on my legs for special occasions. And, so I reserve my tub of Shave Butter Creme for when I'm going out with my husband.

My bikini area is a different story, though. Since I bought it, I have used the Shave Butter Creme every time I've shaved my bikini line. Wouldn't you know it, no razor burn! Again, and I cannot stress this enough, use a thicker layer than you think you need. I haven't even needed to do the deodorant trick to prevent bumps in my bikini area since I've been using this stuff.

As for a rating...I'm conflicted. This stuff really does a great job of protecting your skin from razor burn, but you have to use so much and therefore end up spending much more than you would on a regular shave cream or a decent shave soap. So I'm going to have to go with 6/8 tentacles, docking one for difficulty of use and one for the price.

Shea Moisture Shave Coconut & Hibiscus Shave Butter Creme is available for between $7 and $14 at your local Walgreens (depending on stock), most expanded Targets and Super-Targets, and online at Amazon.

Rating: 6/8 tentacles





If more shaving reviews is what you crave, check out Bic Soliel Disposable Razors, DIY Lemon Sugar Scrub, Trader Joe's Honey Mango Moisturizing Shave Creamand eos Shave Cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment