Friday, September 16, 2011

Suave Essentials Dry Shampoo Spray: Ten Kinds of NO.



Author: Nepoleanita

I have superfine hair that starts to look greasy after less than 24 hours without washing, which means that I have to blow dry my hair daily. Hello, heat damage. I was on drugstore.com a few weeks ago, and I needed a few more dollars to get the free shipping deal, so I ordered a small size of Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo Spray.

And I am SO relieved I only got the small size. This product is HORRIBLE. Utterly horrible.


First off, the smell. It smells like Grandma's potpourri dialed up to eleven. I'm not a fan of strong perfumey products in the first place, and there was absolutely no indication that this spray would be scented, so I was shocked when it smelled so strongly and I found myself gagging. The smell didn't seem to dissipate over time either. I continually caught whiffs of it as I turned my head throughout the day.

Secondly, the application process is weird. It comes in an aerosol spray can. The directions say to hold it about 8-10 inches away from your head. I found that holding the can that far away resulted in absolutely no product getting on my hair. I had to get about three inches from my head to get any on my hair, and when it did make contact, it was in a small patch. I found it very difficult to maintain a steady stream coming out as I moved the can around. I ended up with a bunch of patches of white powdery stuff on my hair which I then attempted to blend through my hair with my fingers, as directed. Nothing doing. Then I tried using two different types of brush. That didn't work out so well either. The powder mostly stayed where it was sprayed on, or it transferred to the brush. I had to go back over the areas that didn't take a direct hit and spray them as well.  And gag on the smell some more.

Once I finally got my hair looking barely socially acceptable, I headed outside to meet my friend. As soon as the sun hit my hair, he let out a startled "WHOA! What did you do to your hair?" I told him I had tried out a new product and asked him to describe what he saw. He told me that there were areas that were distinctly lighter than others, the darker parts were very shiny and the lighter parts very dull, and it just looked weird in general. For me, that was the last nail in the coffin. I will not be using this ever again.  

Suave Essentials Dry Shampoo Spray gets a big fat ZERO out of eight tentacles for sucking in every way possible. 


Rating: 0/8 tentacles

No comments:

Post a Comment