Friday, March 9, 2012

My Beauty Must Have: Urban Decay Eyeshadow

Rusty





There are few beauty products that I feel absolutely married to. No matter how well something works, I’m almost always willing to give another brand a try, especially if it’s cheaper. It’s not that I don’t have product or brand loyalty, I’m just more curious to see how different products work out for me. The one area of cosmetics where I’m hitting and sticking, though, is Urban Decay eyeshadows.

I’ve mentioned the eyeshadows in a lot of my tutorials because they’re almost the only eyeshadows I own. The other ones were bought for me by someone else. There’s a few reasons for this, and they are:



1. Richness of color: Even with the lighter colors I have like the white glitter (Uzi) or a shimmery light champagne (Sin) they go on almost exactly the way they look in the container. After experiences with drug store eyeshadow that would look like a nice rich blue in the palette and turn out to be a barely noticeable hint of bruise on my face, this is extremely satisfying.

2. They don’t anger my sensitive skin: I had been using another brand of eyeshadow for a while, but after wearing it for an hour or so my eyes would get kind of puffy and sore. I’ve never had that problem with any of the Urban Decay shadows, even the ones with glitter in them.

3. Color Blending: I’m a big fan of layering eyeshadows, one of my favorite combos is a dark green with bronze shimmer (Chains) underneath a light gold with glitter (Midnight Cowboy) because the green is too dark on it’s own for daytime, but the gold lightens it up just enough and gives it more sparkle. Urban Decay eyeshadows layer really well without getting muddy or clumpy.

4. So Many Colors: Most drug store eyeshadows will phase colors out given what’s ‘in’ that season which is incredibly frustrating if you run out of your favorite eyeshadow only to find it was a seasonal color and has been discontinued. Urban Decay’s color selection is vast and they’re all available year round. No matter what your preferred eyeshadow shade is, they’ll have it.

5. Long Lasting: I use my little container of Sin eyeshadow several times a week for over a year. It’s still going strong. In addition to being fairly long wearing (much longer if you use their primer potion) the fact that you don’t need a ton to get the color effect you want means that the palettes and tins last a long time, which helps justify the price tag.

Does this mean you should run out and buy a bunch of Urban Decay? Actually I would totally encourage you to run out and get either the Naked or Naked 2 palettes because the collection of shades is great for creating understated but eye catching looks and they come with their own brush. I’m partial to Naked 2 because it’s got a black shadow and more gold shimmer going on, but take a look and decide for yourself. Or share your own beauty must have!

1 comment:

  1. I do really love UD eyeshadow for dramatic or night looks but I find that too many of their shadows have glitter. Which is great if you're into that sort of thing (and I am) but can be too much for the office.

    ReplyDelete