Friday, January 13, 2012

Ask Ink: A Brighter Smile...Part Deux








"Do y'all have any products you'd recommend for easy teeth whitening? I can't afford a professional treatment but would desperately love to have whiter teeth by my wedding!"

Vee answered this question here. Now Kolby takes it on!

I've tried to brighten my pearlies with whitening strips in the past, and I'm usually pleased with the results, but the process - adhering chemical-coated plastic wrap to my teeth for thirty minutes at a time - squicks me out. I love flashing a white smile at folks I meet, but to get my teeth picture perfect and shiny, I prefer to use a whitening toothpaste. Sure, it takes longer to get results with a toothpaste than with strips, but instead of having to take time out of your day to apply whitening strips and wait for them to work, you can whiten over the course of a few days during your morning and evening (and after meals, of course...Hi Dr. Burcheski!) tooth brushing routines.

My favorite whitening toothpaste, and really, my favorite toothpaste overall, is Crest 3D White Vivid. The formula uses a "patented enamel safe whitening ingredient" to polish away surface stains. In fact, Crest claims this toothpaste will remove up to 80% of surface stains in the first two weeks of use. And I am 100% on board with this claim. This toothpaste works exactly as claimed, and in addition to significantly whitening my teeth in a fairly compact time period, Crest 3D White Vivid leaves my teeth feeling as clean as they do after a professional polishing. It also tastes terrific, and my breath stays fresh significantly longer than it seems to after using other toothpastes.

The one complaint I have about this toothpaste has nothing to do with its whitening powers, which are impressive, but instead with the tooth sensitivity it seems to cause. I've noticed that my teeth become a tad more sensitive to cold drinks after brushing with it daily over an extended time period. In order to avoid this tiny issue, I alternate using this toothpaste for two weeks with using a non-whitening formula for two weeks. I've found that this method prevents tooth sensitivity from use of the Crest 3D White Vivid while preserving the whitening it provides.

Both of these products will give you the whiter smile you seek, and have you ready to smile at your groom and for amazing photographs on your wedding day. Best wishes!

1 comment:

  1. For sensitivity, I recommend using Sensodyne toothpaste and fluoride mouthwash. Makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete