Monday, December 5, 2011

Pinky Tries It: DIY Miracle Mask

Pinky McLadybits



I don't know if you've checked it out, but I adore Pinterest. You have lots of virtual boards with names like My Style, DIY, Decorating, Food and Drink, Sexy Men I Want To Bone, or Hair and Makeup. Then when you find something online that you'd like to remember for later, you pin it to the corresponding board. It is highly addictive and you can spend so much time scrolling through the different categories and re-pinning from others. 

One of the things I pin a lot of are DIY things, like crafts or homemade product. I decided that I should actually try out these DIY products and let you all know whether they actually work. First up is The Miracle Mask from College Fashion.

To make this mask you need honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, and about 30 minutes to let it sit on your face. (Um, that sounded dirty.) 30 minutes to spend with the mask on. (That's better. I feel like I'm turning into Deadpool sometimes. As long as a third voice doesn't pop into play, I should be fine. (Good call.) Shit.)  The author, Erin from Western Washington University, says this mask "is calming and soothing for stressed-out skin". I take this to mean that it will make my face less red and more even. Maybe even get rid of this weird little pimple that won't die on my jawline.

Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg. She describes the consistency as like a paste. Then you apply the mask to your face and let it cure or perform magic or whatever for 30 minutes before removing it with warm water and circular motions. Let's do this.

Some quick notes: 1. Make sure you have ground nutmeg, because that food processor will not get it ground down finely enough to not make you cringe when you accidentally rub a chunk of it on your face.

2. When the honey wouldn't come out of the bottle and made flatulent sounds, my husband thought I was shitting myself in the kitchen. Thanks.

3. I used a plastic spoon to mix and apply the mask because it is thick and sticky.

4. Your face will be drippy, you will get it on your clothes.

5. If it gets in your mouth, it tastes good.

Mixing everything together was easy and I got this when I finished:
I look like the poop monster from Dogma.



I felt like I was melting because it was so runny. I definitely would use less honey because 2 tablespoons is just too much. My face started itching like crazy around the 15 minute mark, so I removed the mask early. It took 2 washcloths to remove the mask. My face felt a bit smoother, because of the nutmeg I would guess, and was very splotchy and red around my nose, chin and forehead. Most of my face, is what I'm saying. I applied moisturizer and got in the shower.

I applied my moisturizer, which usually works on first application, again after the shower. I could still feel my face drying out. The redness has dissipated some, but there was still definite redness. My face is very smooth, though. So smooth. Next time, I'll use the mask with less honey, ground nutmeg from the store, and leave it on for only 10 minutes. If you have oily skin, this mask would probably be a very good thing for you.

Rating: 5/8 tentacles


No comments:

Post a Comment