Wednesday, December 7, 2011

John Frieda Root Awakening for Dry Hair


Park



I’m going to start this review with a story. Its the story of my Grandma Rodgers, who was a pretty amazing person. Unfortunately, she made the mistake a lot of folks do and married a guy who was kind of a jerk and who skipped out on her. This meant that she was left as a single Mom at a time when that was barely acceptable when your husband died (my other Grandmother, whose husband did pass away, was regularly pressured to get remarried).

So my very devout Catholic Grandmother mostly kept quiet about what had happened and she scrimped and saved money and did what she could to take care of her three kids. She didn’t allow herself much in the way of luxury. There were some small vacations later on, which my Grandfather angrily accused her of funding using the tiny, infrequent amounts of money he sent home (like I said, he was a real class act).


However, one thing my Grandmother did allow herself was hair appointments. They were not as regular as she would like, but they were very important to her. One day she sat down with a hairdresser whom she had never met before. The hairdresser proceeded to complain about how awful and dry her hair was for the entire appointment, including chatting to the hairdresser beside her about the sorry state of my Grandmother’s hair. And my Grandmother, like many women of her generation, stoically sat through all of this. Sat through over an hour of it during one of the only “treats” she allowed herself. Then she went home and cried...for hours. I have never seen my father more angry then when he tells this story.

A story very similar to this happened to me before the wedding of one of my best friends. In fact I’m sure its happened to a lot of women. Unfortunately, there seems to be a small cabal of people who get into the beauty industry for the sole reason of making other women feel truly terrible about themselves. Its amazing how much power these folks can wield. I know that my Grandmother lost a lot of confidence that day. I know that there are some awful things people at stores and salons have said to me that are trapped in my head forever: “let me recommend something else for you, wearing your hair like that gives you a long horse face” jumps to mind.

However, sometimes there are products that make a difference in your hair, skin etc that call bullshit on what awful things someone has said to you. Its the hair or skin product version of “dressing for your body type”. Well “John Frieda Root Awakening for Dry Hair“ is that product for my straight, dry hair. A lot of products can leave my hair greasy and limp. However, “Root Awakening” leaves my hair soft, shiny and smelling great. Its always puts a big smile on my long horse face. And even better its not very expensive and available at my local drug store.

I give this product 7 out of 8 tentacles. Like any other shampoo, I can’t use it all the time because it stops working the same way. But its a great product to have in my rotation and I always use it when I know I have an event where I want my hair to look its very best.



In fact, this product is so great that I sometimes imagine how wonderful it would be to be able to give it to my Grandma after that hairdresser insulted her. I love the idea of her going back there with shiny, healthy hair, and all her confidence back...and watching me punch that hairdresser right in the face. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a time machine to build.


Rating: 7/8 tentacles


No comments:

Post a Comment