Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Kashi Pumpkin Pecan Layered Granola Bars: Layers! Like An Ogre!

Pinky McLadybits






I'm not sure it is technically fall, but my calendar says September and my body is saying, "COVER ME WITH PANTS AND SWEATERS, YOU SLATTERN!" My body is way harsh, but has a point. I'm sick of wearing clothes that are barely there and shaving my legs. Point being, I'd like to make myself feel like it is Fall until it actually gets here. Part of that is enjoying the different tastes we associate with the cooler weather, changing leaves, and FOOTBALL! WOOOP!

It was with the tastes of Fall in mind that I decided to snag this box of Kashi Pumpkin Pecan Layered Granola Bars from my local Big Lots. Since this product is now discontinued, I would say that Big Lots and other similar stores are your best chance of finding them. 

The Pumpkin Pecan bars boast seven whole grains, real fruit, nuts, fiber, protein, and no high fructose corn syrup. The description promises the flavor of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. And the pecans. Duh. The bar is small, only 1.1 ounces each, and has a normal-looking granola bottom, with the pumpkin fruit and spice mix spread on top and sprinkled with pecans.

It smells quite good, though the scent isn't as strong as a pumpkin pie. The granola is softer and chewier than it looks, but it still maintains a nice crunch from the different granola components. The pumpkin spread is quite soft. It looks like it would be chewy, but it is not at all. I expected the pumpkin spread to have the most flavor, and I suppose it does, though what flavor it has is very light. It doesn't taste all that sweet. The flavor is more spicy than anything, and it isn't even very spicy. 

In the end, I finished the Kashi Pumpkin Pecan Layered Granola Bar. Will I eat the rest of the box? Eventually, yes. This isn't a bad snack, it just might not be the right snack to curb a craving for a pumpkin spice latte, a pumpkin pie, or something else Fall-related. I will snack on these, possibly in the morning as a breakfast, as they are satisfying because of the fiber and protein packed into the little bar. Will I be sad when I can't get them again? Meh.

Rating: 5/8 tentacles

No comments:

Post a Comment