Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Benefit Brow Bar: Shape Me Like One Of Your French Girls

Pinky McLadybits




I have spent the better part of my life plucking or self-waxing my eyebrows thinner. I couldn't find an arch like people are supposed to have. I usually ended up with severely thin brows and my left brow was always nicer than the right brow. Thanks, eyebrow ring that left a scar!

Anyway, upon realizing that there was a Benefit Brow Bar inside the Macy's at my local mall, I decided it was time for a professional to do something with my sad, pathetic brows. I was nervous. I was excited. I was early for my appointment.

Benefit Brow Bars, at least this one, run in twenty minute increments. If you are scheduled at 1:20 then the next person probably will be in at 1:40. I was worried that this would mean I was going to be largely ignored, that the Brow Bar worker would speed through my appointment, and that I would leave as ignorant as I had been before the visit. I am happy to say that I was wrong on all counts.

Paige greeted me and told me to have a seat in one of the white chairs flanking the Brow Bar. Yes, it is an actual little bar set up. Sort of like a movable tiki bar, with less tiki and more grooming tools. I filled out a little card with some information, signed a release, and Paige asked what I wanted to do. I clumsily explained that I wanted nice eyebrows in a shape that actually accented my face. Paige then explained that she would use Brow Zings powder to map my brows and give me an idea of what we were going for with the grooming.

All of this happens in an open space, among other beauty counters, in the entrance of a mall department store. To say that I was nervously self-conscious is an understatement. I was literally shaking. Now, I've had my brows waxed before, hell, I've done it myself. But this was different. Luckily, Paige is delightful and talked while she worked. I was amazed by the brow outline Paige had marked on my face. She explained the proper way to measure the beginning of the brow, the arch, and the end of the brow. She explained the Brow Zings Kit and how she would use the wax and then the powder to fill in the sparse areas, as I needed to grow out some spots in my brows.

After shaping, waxing, plucking, and enhancing my brows, Paige applied concealer that completely covered the heinous red I usually walk around with after a wax session. She also used a white highlighter pencil on my browbone to really make the brows pop. Then she had to pass me off to one of the makeup counter girls who would show me a mascara and finish all the transactions.

And when she was done, I had the most amazing brows I've ever had in my life.
I'm holding my bangs out of the way.

I was also lighter much more than the $20 brow grooming fee, as Paige had sold me on They're Real! Mascara and a Brow Zings. I'll tell you more about my experience with the Brow Zings another time. It was a great experience for me. I scheduled a follow-up, which was today, and Paige took my arches higher, watched me attempt to apply the Brow Zings, and explained that I would be better off with a pencil. I was able to easily swap the Zings for the Pencil, no problem. I go back again in 3 weeks.

Rating: 8/8 tentacles

2 comments:

  1. They look great! I'm gonna have to visit my Macy's and see if they offer this service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you visit Benefit's site you can enter your zip code and find a Brow Bar near you!

    ReplyDelete