Thursday, December 1, 2011

Nora's XXXmas Wishlist

Nora


I am a ridiculously easy person to shop for. Seriously. My favorite present is ALWAYS my mom's annual gift of a box of socks and underwear (we thrill easily, my family.) As much as I love socks, though, there are many expensive, unnecessary things I lust after with all my heart and tiny savings account. These are the things that if I were able to splurge on, guilt free, I would consider essential to my everyday happiness:


1. The complete series of the The Wire on DVD

I don't buy DVDs. Like, ever. For me to buy something on DVD it means that I want to watch it over and over, commit to memory every face, word, and clothing detail, and plan on accessing it regularly, regardless of time or seasonal appropriateness or internet connection. I feel that the time has come for The Wire join the ranks of Beloved Shows I Own of DVD. It has everything: phenomenal writing, compelling characters, exceptional acting, and lots of sexy. You come at the king, you best not miss.



I know, I know. They're for hipsters. I can't even defend myself as a non-hipster, as I'm pretty sure I might be one (save for my non-ironic love for Kelly Clarkson), but I love these!

Also? Your Wayfarers? Totally mainstream.


If you ever meet me in person, there's a 90% chance I'll be wearing a cardigan. I am always, ALWAYS coveting new ones. My favorites are from JCrew; they're beautiful and wear well.


These are the absolute best running shoes in the world. I've tried every major running shoe brand - Saucony, Nike, Asics, New Balance, Brooks - and found that I belong, heart and sole (heh heh), to Mizuno. I buy a pair every 6 months (though it should be every 3-4, but I'm po'), and by the time the holidays get here I'll be needing a new pair.


I'm a bit of a music fanatic, and I've been wanting to get an iPod classic for a very long time. I've had two Nanos that disappointed capacity-wise, and even though the newer generations hold more, I'm not a fan of the Touch-only options. I don't need apps or gimmicks on my iPod, either - I need it to hold my music library. All of it.









6. Sonicare DiamondClean Toothbrush

You might look at this toothbrush and think, "What?! She's CRAZY!" and you'd be partially right. I mean, I think I might belong to a very small percentage of the population who feels that a $220 toothbrush is a solid investment. After all, I'm more than slightly obsessed with oral hygiene, and this is the Rolls Royce of dental care. But come on, guys, teeth are important. I plan on having these babies 4LYFE.


I've been dreaming of owning a Raleigh for the past 5 years or so. I currently have a vintage Schwinn cruiser, which is cute and fun for riding along the beach, but it's awful when I need to weave in traffic or, you know, get places on time. Also, I want to try a triathalon sometime in the near future, for which a road bike is sort of essential.


So, I have some auditions coming up and I need new headshots. I am also broke. Headshots, professionally done, can range in the hundreds of dollars after you total up the costs of the actual shoot, prints, whatever photo voodoo they do to make me look all hot and cast-able, etc. Thus, it would be splendid if somebody could wrassle up an affordable, talented photographer for me sometime before January.


Sure, it's expensive, but have you ever shopped there? They make buying produce feel like the sexiest thing you can be doing with your time and money! I love buying organically, and now that Farmer's Market season is over, I must turn to Whole Foods for my locally-grown needs. Also, their in-house brand, 365, makes delicious EVERYTHING, from canned soups to pastas, and the prices are pretty comparable to the other supermarkets in my area.




10. Not to end on a sappy note, but...

I am a very lucky person, and in truth, I want for little in my life. I consider myself truly blessed to be surrounded each day by family and friends who love me, support me, and keep me laughing through my darkest times. As much as I would like a new bike or iPod, mere things can't compare to the happiness I receive from knowing such people, and the biggest thing I want this year is to pass this happiness on to others as well. So in a way, I suppose, this is my final wish - and it applies to you especially, dear reader: Stay healthy, happy, challenged, and fulfilled. May you acknowledge your goals as tangible, and find success beyond your wildest dreams. I hope your joys dwarf your sorrows, your triumphs outnumber your defeats, and your immune system overcomes any shit Mother Nature tries to throw at it this holiday season.

Stay safe, stay smart, and come back for more reviews in the new year!

1 comment:

  1. Headshots? Try modelmayhem.com and you'll probably be able to find a decent photographer to do them TFP.

    ReplyDelete