Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm Gonna Wash That Stuff Right Outta My Head: Neti Pot

Nepoleanita



When I'm having a bad allergy attack or when I have a cold, one of the things I frequently wish for is the ability to take my face off and rinse it out. It just sounds like it would be so soothing. I said that very thing in the presence of my hippie friend Andrea one time, and she promptly demanded that I go get a NeilMed Nasaflow NetiPot. I gave her some side-eye, because I do not enjoy the sensation of drowning myself, which is what I imagined it would feel like. She told me to quit being a baby and do it, because it works.

So I sucked it up and got myself a NetiPot and gave it a whirl. It doesn't feel exactly like drowning, but I'm not going to lie, there are similarities. You mix one of the little packets in the pot with warm water, lean forward, tilt your head kind of up and to the side, and pour water up your nose. It's not a pleasant sensation, but it's not horrible either. As long as you keep breathing through your mouth and lean forward, everything is fine. I did make a huge mess the first time I tried it, so I highly suggest keeping all NetiPot use to the shower.

For everyday help with allergy related sinus issues, I give the NetiPot 7 out of 8 tentacles. It's cheap and effective, but I never look forward to using it.

There are some times though when the regular NetiPot isn't enough to break through the wall of crap invading my sinuses. That's when I have to take things up a notch and break out this bad boy:
NeilMed Sinus Relief Rinse Bottle

This thing is like a pressure washer for your sinuses. It is not kidding around. I wouldn't even attempt to use this outside of the shower, but it works. When I'm so stuffed up that I can't even blow my nose, I use this and I can instantly breathe again. Like I said before, it's not a pleasant sensation, but it works. It's the same basic principles as above, mix the packet thing with warm water. Only now, instead of gently pouring the water through your nasal passages, you are literally shooting it up your nose like a fire hose.


For serious sinus clearing power, I give the Sinus Relief bottle 7 out of 8 tentacles as well. It's more effective, but less comfortable to use.

Rating: 7/8 tentacles

2 comments:

  1. I swear by my Netipot, but was unfamiliar with that rinse bottle. As I've always been frustrated with the times the Neti just can't do the job, that sounds awesome! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a neti pot but have never tried the bottle. I'll have to give that one a shot.

    ReplyDelete