Thursday, November 24, 2011

First, I'd Like to Thank God...

Nora


Ah, Thanksgiving. Undoubtedly, this is my favorite holiday. I know a lot of people gripe about it, but I happen to love its simplicity, tradition, and the fact that gluttony is not just encouraged, but required (USA! USA!). In between games of football, I'll be hanging out at my parents' house, contemplating how thankful I am to be surrounded by people who genuinely love and care about me, and brimming with generally mushy emotions.

I'll spare you that right now, though, and show some love for 5 things that enrich my life on a daily basis:


1. Netflix. ($7.99/month) Netflix.com

Good god, do I love Netflix. Do I need to explain why? Two words: Laguna Beach.

I make no apologies.


There are those who like hummus, and there are those that will eat a 10 oz. container by themselves in one sitting. Guess which camp I fall into?


I have psoriasis and eczema in addition to plain old sensitive skin, so when choosing moisturizers, I tend to go with the most basic stuff I can find. Vaseline's petroleum jelly has been my go-to skin sealant for, well, forever. I use it for chapped lips and hands, psoriasis spots, and as a post eczema outbreak soother. It's cheap, comes in a variety of containers and sizes, and is pretty much essential to keeping me sane and flake-free.








4. Beer

I am especially thankful that I outgrew my childhood notion that beer was disgusting (should time travel ever be discovered and my 8 year old self happens upon this page in some alternate universe, take note: It's delicious!). One of my favorites is Great Lake's Dortmunder Gold. It's great in any season, but there's something extra cozy to me about bringing a twelve pack to a friend's party around this time of year. It almost seems to say, "I love you, so I brought this instead of Bud Light. Cheers."






5. Unemployment

I've been, ahem, unemployed these past few weeks, and as stressful as that can be, it has been enormously beneficial to my mental and physical health. Except for panicking about bills and my student loans, it's been marvelous to sleep in (until 9!), make healthier meals, run errands, clean my apartment, start seeing a therapist, apply for jobs I actually want, exercise more frequently, babysit my niece, and enjoy sunlight. I won't be sad when it ends (and hopefully that happens SOON), but this respite from the real world has helped me appreciate all the good things I have in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment