Thursday, December 22, 2011

Maybelline Shine Sensational Lip Gloss: Shiny!

MelBivDevoe



Man, I used to love me some lip gloss.  Back when I was a carefree teen in high school, lip gloss was the essential finish to my daily makeup routine.  I must've had dozens of tubes of sticky, smelly glosses in flavors like cherry and bubble gum. 

I don't know at what point I stopped using the stuff.  Probably had to do with being a band geek - having to constantly wipe the stuff off before playing my oboe or sax became annoying, so I began to forgo it.  All I know is, it's been years since I've owned any gloss.  I was browsing the makeup aisle one day recently and saw that Maybelline has a line of scented, fruity glosses called Shine Sensational, and on a whim I picked up a tube of Cherry Kiss. 


Shine Sensational lip gloss is your typical gloss - it goes on smoothly and gives your lips a nice shine without looking like you've just drenched your mouth in goop.  It can get a little sticky if you apply too much.  It doesn't last too long, especially if you're eating or drinking with it on.  But I didn't really buy it for the look it creates or how long it lasts so much as for the experience - it really does take me back to being an impudent teenager.  It's a state of mind brought on by the texture and scent of the gloss - and there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel young again (as long as I don't go off the deep end and join a Justin Bieber fan club or some such nonsense).

There are 18 scents that range from Minty Sheer to Tempting Toffee.  Each one has a tiny hint of color but are mostly sheer - the Cherry Kiss I bought gives a slight red tint to my lips, but it's not very obvious until you wipe your lips on something.  It smells absolutely delicious.

It's nothing fancy - no miracle lip product here - but this lip gloss makes me happy, and really, isn't that all you need?  Shine Sensational lip gloss retails in most stores like Ulta or online from Drugstore.com for around $5-$6 a tube.  I give it 6 out of 8 tentacles.

Rating: 6/8 tentacles

No comments:

Post a Comment