Thursday, November 24, 2011

Things Rusty (And Everyone Who Has to Interact With Her) is Thankful For

Rusty



It’s been something of a stressful year for me; since last Thanksgiving I’ve finished a Master’s program, completed an internship, experienced sporadic employment, moved back home to work on a book, and helped my family adopt two exuberant German Shepherds.

It’s been a bit of a ride, is what I’m saying, and while I’m incredibly thankful for my health, my incredibly supportive and loving family, and that the earth hasn’t fallen into the sun. All of those things are wonderful. But there are also a handful of more tangible things that keep me sane and functional. Here they are:


1. Lipton Black Tea: I’ve never been what you’d call a ‘morning person’ and so when I was a kid my mom would make me Lipton tea with milk and sugar to help me wake up. Even after I transitioned into adult hood I wasn’t able to make the switch to coffee, I found it too harsh and the caffeine boost made my eyes feel like they were vibrating and it was impossible for me to focus. and I know Lipton’s not the best tea, but it’s what I’m used to, it’s affordable, and if you can handle loose tea and a strainer first thing in the AM than you probably don’t need the tea to help you wake up.














2. My MacBook Pro (an by extension the internet): Because I’ve moved back to the middle of nowhere and my friends are scattered across the country and world, most of my social interactions happen online lately. Never mind the wide array of entertainment options, the opportunity to shop for just about anything without leaving my chair, and the chance to write for all you lovely people.













3. Seasonique: My ‘special time’ is just that much more ‘special’ than most people I know. Modern medicine has given me the means to control the specialness in such a way that I can function and plan around it. Honestly, that is my primary motivation behind taking birth control pills, and I am thankful every day for their existence and the fact that I tolerate them with no ill effects. I can’t tell you how much better my life is because of these drugs, as well as the lives of those who have to interact with me on a regular basis.















4. Rum: It’s tasty. It makes me happy. Not complicated.
















5. Chapstick: There are very few products that I actually use every single day. I think chapstick is the only single product (not my assortment of various hand, face, and body moisturizers which I rotate based on mood and skin condition) that I literally use every single day. And having dry cracked lips makes me super twitchy. Preferably in cherry or strawberry flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment