Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Aveda Light Elements Shaping Wax

 Author: Park

There are two things that I thought I would have a life-time aversion to: hippies and fancy-schmancy products that act like they’re better then you. The venn diagram of both of these things seemed to have Aveda right smack dab in the middle of it.  Therefore, for years I avoided that particular company as if it were secretly run by Skynet.  A former roommate gave me some of their products as a gift. I wrapped it and re-gifted it to a friend...who might be reading this...so, um, I didn’t actually do that.



Anyway, a year or so ago I found out that Aveda has a hairdressing school (The Aveda Institute) and they give very inexpensive and great haircuts.  Suddenly I was a big Aveda fan. Go Team Skynet!

Whenever you go to Aveda to get your nails done, hair done, everything did, (Yes, Drake, I'm fancy huh) they push the products pretty hard.  This can be kind of annoying if you are broke like me.  However, sometimes I decide to go ahead and purchase one of the products.  My most recent purchase was Light Elements Shaping Wax.

I have very thin hair that I usually keep very short.  I like my short hair...mostly. However, sometimes I look at women with their pretty flowing locks and I gets the sads.  My solution? I’m a make my hair big and fun and have it stick out at odd angles.  I will be Franka Potente in “Run Lola Run”.  Yes, I know its not 1998 anymore, shh!

I really love this shaping wax as I find its much less thick and gluey then others I’ve tried.  This is especially important for thin hair, because thick and gluey turns my hair into a giant greaseball.  It also holds quite well.  You’re not going to be able to rock a faux hawk with this (shudder!) but a little fluffing with your hands and your hair is back to what you wanted, even if you’ve been out for hours.  Also, if, say, someone else is running their fingers through your hair, you can barely feel that that the product is in there.  And it smells really great. It's light and kind of citrusy with a little bit of sandalwood.  For those of you who hate sandalwood (I often fall into that category), the sandalwood smell doesn’t overpower everything else.  It's a light smell, not perfume-y like a lot of other hair products. I actually find it quite soothing. BONUS!

My warnings about this product would be to make sure to only use a tiny amount.  It says “small amount” in the instructions, but use a super small amount.  I lightly tap the surface with my index finger and that is more than enough.  If you have long hair, you might want to use more.  Also, if you have long hair, I kind of hate that you can flip your hair around like one of Charlie’s Angels, so screw you.

Don’t put this on your hair when it is wet.  It's in the instructions to use it on dry hair, but, for you guys, I take chances and tried it on wet hair. Blech! My hair was just a greased-up looking mess that I had to wash again.  Those of you who know what they’re doing with their hair more then me (read, everyone) might have better luck with it in wet hair, but I would suggest just using it as suggested.

I give this product 7 out of 8 tentacles.  It makes my hair look and smell great and it lasts really well. Give in to the fancy-schmancy and give this a try; you won’t regret it

On a slightly related note, this year I met a bunch of really great, smart, funny hippies.  Life's interesting, huh?

P.S. Aveda gives out free samples when you be online.
P.P.S. Be warned, once you start using Aveda stuff it will be hard to not start buying everything.

Rating: 7/8 tentacles

No comments:

Post a Comment